Friday, January 24, 2014

Snow Day!

I went to bed the previous night thinking about how terrible this morning's run was going to be. I hate waking up early to run in the morning, especially when the forecast is twenty-six degrees with cold rain. Coffee and breakfast are a necessity for me before running. We were planning on camping for Dirty Soles and I knew we would be leaving town late, so I was forced to get my run in early. I woke up at 5:45 to snow and ice everywhere. After finding out that school was cancelled, I went back to sleep for another hour of shut-eye. After breakfast and coffee, I hit the trail. I found myself traversing a Louisiana winter wonderland. I ran through my usual trail feeling that I was somewhere else entirely, as parts of the trail were dusted with a light snow and ice. Despite feeling unfamiliar, there was also something special about this run. The gentle sound of crunching snow underfoot, the fleeting sense of being in another place, and the general beauty of the woods covered in snow turned this morning into one I will never forget. I may never have another opportunity to run the Beast in snow again, but I can assure you this summer I will welcome the chance!












No comments:

Post a Comment